Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jaden's Story #1

Greeting’s all,

As promised, I return feeling venerable about sharing a story that is very much real and filled with emotion. I believe in being real and really positive, that’s all this situation can hold, positive.

In April 2010, we welcomed Jaden to our family. He was much awaited by many people; his entrance was grand and will not soon be forgotten. At birth, 6 lbs. 6 oz. and healthy as could be, I look back at such a perfect time for our family and wonder why I was unable to see the signs sooner. We took Jaden home to a very proud big brother Micah; then came the time for learning about our new family. Jaden progressed well, like any other newborn child. In my mind I had a sneaking suspicion when we said to our pediatrician, “Jaden only wants to turn his head this way”.  Her solution being to use a roll under one side of his neck and it should be corrected.  During his well child checks, it became apparent that Jaden’s head was growing at alarming rates.
 I believe there is a history I should touch on right now. When Micah was born in 2006, he had to be seen in Denver at The Children’s Hospital for a skull condition known as, Craniosynostosis. Micah was seen by Neurosurgeons there and was able to leave Denver with a clean bill of health.  Another interesting twist to this is at the time of Micah’s check up in Denver my half-sister (who at the time I had never known) was in the clinic the same day, for a checkup with her son who had to have surgery for his Craniosynostosis, at 3 months old.  We didn’t meet until about two months afterwards.  So now that you have just read a story, within a story we will get back to Jaden’s story.
We had been keeping an eye on Jaden’s head size given our family history. At Jaden’s 4 month well child check, we decided Jaden should have an ultrasound of his brain to get a better idea of why his head was getting bigger. This is when I first heard the word, Hydrocephalus. I will never forget telling our pediatrician, I am going to go home and look up what this is- she said to me, you’re not going to like what you see.  How right she was. So like I said I would, I got online and typed it in and started reading. I was shocked and to think I didn’t even know he had a stroke at this point. I knew in the pit of my stomach, right then- I knew we were facing something big. Well one test leads to another when trying to find a medical answer.  Too look back now and to think our whole family kept on telling us, oh it will be just fine, just like what happened with Micah. We had a miss-guided preconception that Jaden’s condition would be cleared and life would be on to the next task at hand.
The MRI we saw on the 15th of September, was truly a life changing moment. I was indescribably numbed by what I was seeing; really seeing how much damage there is in his brain. Having to stay strong, having to call Roy and tell him how bad things looked, was one of the hardest phone call’s I have made.  So from here we were sent shell shocked, off on an 8 hour trip home. With a plan in hand that Jaden would be checked for blood clotting disorders 9which the results were negative for), before being cleared to have a shunt placed in his brain to drain off spinal fluid. Jaden is a unique case of Hydrocephalus because normal Hydro is on the inside of the brain on the ventricles. Jaden’s fluid is on the outside of his brain, pushing in on his brain and out on his skull. The side of his brain that is the most damaged from the stroke is the left, which is why the right side of his body is affected.
Jaden’s shunt placement happened on October 13th, 2010. I will never forget the feelings we had that day. Thank god for Roy and his strength- our strength in our relationship, as a family. There is no way to prepare a mother and father to let go of their child and watch nursing staff carry your child off to the operating room for brain surgery.  I feel very grateful that we have such a wonderful and knowledgeable Neurosurgeon performing the surgery. Jaden was in the operating room for about 2 ½ hours. When we finally saw Dr. Hankinson’s face, with a broad smile coming out the doors- this sheer relief came over us. At the same time, so did another set of feelings.  How was he? How did it go? Can we see him now? The questions are endless. The Dr. informed us that everything had gone as planned.  Jaden was in recovery for about 30 min. before we were able to go see him. Walking up to his crib and seeing his little blue eye’s looking up and me and a faint smile break across his face, made us feel better.  The PACU nursing staff told us that Jaden was one of the best shunt patients they had ever seen. He only had 2 shots of morphine, during his recovery.  He recovered so well, he was moved about 2 hours later to the 6th floor for recovery and a 3 day stay.
The first night, I was just thankful he was alive and looking so good after what he had just undergone. He did drink some clear juice that night, and took his first bottle at about 3 am on the 14th. I held him the next morning. I found this to be terrifying.  My child, my baby with a large incision on his head, so fragile and seemingly so breakable, still my child. So I scoped him up and rocked him. The following days consisted of me being with Jaden 24/7- Roy took some breaks to spend time with Micah, he was without doubt feeling the stress of his mommy and daddy.  Jaden took many a ride propped up in the red wagon up and down the halls, good therapy for both of us.
Then came the day we could go home. I was really terrified of this because with people who have a shunt, they can be fine at one time and the next they can be really sick and in need of a shunt revision (2-in 5 kids who have a shunt, will need another surgery within 1 year of the first shunt placement).  So I feel everyday like, he could go from being a happy little baby boy, to being in the operating room again.  So we packed into our car and made the 8 hours journey home again.  

Ok so now that we have made it to this point I do believe I will take a break for right now. My mind is tired and emotions are overwhelming right now. I will be posting a part 2 of this to bring you to speed with Jaden’s story.

Love and Health,

Jaden’s Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Christy,
    Thank you for sharing this story. It is such a hard thing for any parent to read what you are going through, particularly those that have not had to face any medical crises or challenges. I think Jaden’s story brings a sense of vulnerability that can make us parents feel uncomfortable or anxious. Because the truth is that all children whether we label them typical, average, gifted, disabled, or special, are venerable in this big, wide world. For me, it helps to get to that place where I trust, can let-go, and know that God has us in the palm of His hand.

    ReplyDelete